Appliqué in reverse is quick to learn and easy to perfect with Teri Henderson Tope’s clear and methodical instructions. The class project is an Asian-inspired carnation that requires only three small pieces of fabric and a needle and thread to get started. After marking and basting, begin to sew gentle curves using a simple “swish” of the needle as demonstrated by Teri. You’ll learn how to make inside and outside points as well as how to begin and end so the stitching doesn’t pull out or show through. She explains how to finish the carnation with either hand quilting or machine free-motion quilting. Teri also provides instructions on how to use appliqué in reverse to make monogram letters appear to float off the background fabric. Complete instructions for a bonus monogram quilt are included with this class. Teri’s appliqué in reverse techniques create needle-turned projects that have that professional, embossed look every time, so sign up now to learn all of her tips for making your reverse appliqué beautiful.
- Appliqué in Reverse
- eBook Appliqué in Reverse
- Background: (1) 12½" x 12½" dark green batik
- Petals: (1) 12½" x 8 ½" salmon 100% quilter’s cotton
- Stem and leaves: (1) 12½" x 8½" light green
- Backing: (1) 14½" x 14½" 100% quilter’s cotton
- Batting: (1) 14½" x 14½". Teri recommends Quilter’s Dream Cotton Request.
- Monogram Quilt:
- Pieced background and binding: 1½ yd. print
- Appliqué background and signature blocks: ⅔ yd. solid
- Backing: 1 yd.
- Batting: 44" x 44" square
- DMC 50 wt. that matches the background fabric
- Thread for basting
- Thread for piecing if making the monogram quilt
Sewing Machine Foot:
- ¼" foot if making the monogram quilt
Pins & Needles:
- Bohin Milliners #10 appliqué needle
- Needle for basting
- ¾" glass head appliqué pins
- Clover® white fine point heat erasable marking pen
- Pilot® FriXion® erasable gel pen
- Bohin mechanical chalk pencil
- Light box
- Karen Kay Buckley’s Perfect Scissors Small (4")
- Ironing surface
- Pressing sheet
- Rotary cutter
- Cutting mat
- Ruler: 6" x 24"
- Paper scissors
Products you might also enjoy:
- The Quilted Portrait Book
- eBook The Quilted Portrait Book
- Home Sewn Celebrations
- eBook Home Sewn Celebrations
- Bag It! No-Sew Gift Bags
- eBook Bag It! No-Sew Gift Bags
- Electric Quilt® 8 quilt design software (EQ8)
What technique does Teri use?Teri uses the needle-turn technique for this class. The wonderful thing about needle-turn is its portability. Needle-turn projects are happy to accompany you to any place you find yourself waiting around for a while.
Will I be able to succeed in this class if I have never done any kind of appliqué?You will totally amaze yourself! Beginners can learn the basics and those who are experienced in appliqué can pick up tips from Teri. Every stitch is seen so clearly. Expect to have some of those aha moments as you watch these lessons!
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with the downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Teri will get back with you via email. Please do not contact iquilt instructors by telephone.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have the Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!