If you are a beginning quilter, or a quilter who wants to learn precision piecing, Leila Gardunia’s class is a winner when it comes to covering the basics. Learn to cut, sew, and press so your quilt pieces come together perfectly. Sew together half-square triangles, quarter-square triangles, and flying geese with ease. Put together basic quilting blocks that turn out flat and straight when proper techniques are used. Then, put all your new skills together and turn the quilt top into a fantastic canvas-backed wallhanging. Along the way, you’ll learn about fabrics, color choices, and so much more. Leila’s pace is geared for the beginner or confident beginner, so take the class yourself and hone your piecing technique, or buy it for a friend and give the gift of quilting! For your convenience, this class can be purchased for online viewing or purchased on DVD.
Check items to add to cart or select all LIST PDF
Checkboxes indicate items available for purchase from shop.americanquilter.com
- #1698 - You Can Quilt! Building Skills for Beginners
- A fat eighth is a piece of fabric that measures 9" x 18". If fat eighths are not available, use fat quarters. An eighth of a yard of fabric (4½" x 42") will not be wide enough for the pieces needed.
- Background: ¾ yd. light gray
- (1) fat eighth each of teal, gray, aqua, and pink
- (3) fat eighths of varying yellows
- (3) fat quarters of varying reds
Sewing Machine Foot:
- ¼" foot with an edge guide
Basic Quilting Supplies:
- #12083 - Cutting mat, 18" x 24"
- #10261 - Rotary cutter, 45 mm
- #12082 - Ruler, 6" x 24"
- #10677 - Ruler, 6½" x 6½"
- #11874 - Iron
- #12136 - Ironing Surface
- #10738 - Straight pins
- #12505 - Seam ripper
- #4419 - Scissors
- Neutral colors like white, cream, taupe, or gray
- Pilot FriXion® pen
- Spray starch
- Stretched artist canvas, 24" x 24"
- Staple gun and staples
- Rotary cutter, 28 mm
- Shout® Color Catcher
- Rotary cutter replacement blades
- If making pillow: Backing fabric: ¾ yd.
- Back pillow closure fabric: ¾ yd.
- Batting: 26" x 26"
- Zipper: 24"
- Pillow form: 24"
- Note: Pillow construction is not demonstrated in the class.
- #11606 - Electric Quilt® 8 quilt design software (EQ8)
Why learn piecing from Leila?Leila began quilting and then came to this place: “I realized that there were quilts I really wanted to make but I wasn’t making them. I was scared that I didn’t have the skills necessary to make them and it got me to thinking that maybe there were others who have that same problem.” From there, she made it her business to figure out the basics and teach them to others. Now, she quilts with confidence because she has mastered the basics of quilting and is excited to have you join the fun.
If I am a total beginner, will I be able to master these skills?If you can plug in the sewing machine and get it threaded, you will be able to learn so much in this class! The best thing is that you will learn how to cut and sew with accuracy, causing everything you make to turn out well.
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with the downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Leila will get back with you via email. Please do not contact iquilt instructors by telephone.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have the Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!