Alice Wilhoit delivers a great value in this class as she teaches needle-turn, cut-away, back basting, and reverse appliqué so you can make the beautiful flowers in this Lily’s Flowers pattern bloom just as beautiful as on the original quilt. You’ll learn English paper piecing, over a dozen embroidery stitches plus endless combinations, French and colonial knots, beading, silk ribbon embroidery, and how to use dainty vintage handkerchiefs on your crazy quilt. Crazy patchwork is a traditional art form that adds appealing asymmetry to the finished quilt but also gives you freedom as you stitch. So gather your lace, beautiful threads, luscious fabrics, and enjoy the fun of crazy patchwork. As Alice says throughout the class, “Most importantly, there are no rules! You just create, create, create!” For your convenience, this class can be purchased for online viewing or purchased on DVD.
Check items to add to cart or select all LIST PDF
Checkboxes indicate items available for purchase from shop.americanquilter.com
- For Appliqués:
- (4-6) Fat quarters in a variety of greens, light to dark variations
- (1) Fat quarter each of pink, blue, lavender, gold, yellow, purple, and orange, light to dark variations
- (1) 6" square of UltraSuede Light, tan, or light brown
- For Crazy Patchwork:
- Foundation: 2½ yd. muslin, white or off white
- (18) Different neutral fat quarters, batiks (or non batiks)
- Sashing and inner border: 1½ yd.
- Outer border and binding: 2¼ yd.
- Practice sampler for embroidery: Fat quarter, neutral
- Silk ribbon: variety of (1) yd. pieces of 4 mm and 7 mm
- Appliqué: 50 wt. sewing thread to match the color of the appliqués
- YLI silk 100 wt. to match the color of the appliqués
- Embroidery: floss in a large variety of colors. Alice uses Sulky 12 wt. Blendables on petite size spools to achieve beautiful variegation.
- ¼" foot
Pins and Needles:
- Appliqué: 10 sharps
- Embroidery: size 8
- Chenille: size 20
- Beading: a long, thin needle
- Straight pins
- 6½" x 12½" (or optional 12" or 15" square)
- 1" x 6" see through
- #10261 - Rotary cutter
- #12083 - Cutting mat
- #11874 - Iron
- #12136 - Ironing surface
- Light box
- Cuticle stick
- Hair dryer
- Shout® color catcher
- Fray Block
- Aleene’s® OK To Wash-It
- Terry cloth towel
- Seed beads, gold
- (1) yd. medium-weight vinyl or a vinyl baggie
- Vintage handkerchiefs or lace
- Non-permanent marker that will show up on light and dark fabrics
- Freezer paper: (1) roll and 8½" x 11" sheets
- Magic Sizing
- Fine point permanent marker
- Ink jet printer
- Staper remover
Is this too involved for a beginner?No. If you can sew a straight stitch, Alice will show you the rest. If you like a mix of handwork and machine stitching, this is a great class for you! Alice is meticulous in showing every detail so you can understand and the video format allows you to see everything close up. When Alice demonstrates a technique, you can clearly see what she is doing and she works at a great pace for those learning new information.
Will I learn all the fancy stitches I associate with traditional crazy quilts?You sure will. You’ll also learn silk ribbon embroidery, how to attach lovely vintage hankies, and beading. When you complete this class, you will be able to use those valuable skills in many other quilts and projects!
What types of appliqué will I learn?Alice teaches a variety of appliqué methods. She begins with needle-turn appliqué in Lesson 2. In Lesson 3, she demonstrates the cut-away method which is good to use with fabrics that tend to fray. She continues with the back basting method which is useful because it does not require the use of templates. Then, she shows how to do reverse appliqué which adds such nice dimension to your work.
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with the downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Alice will get back with you via email. Please do not contact iquilt instructors by telephone.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have the Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!