Joan Shay’s amazing appli-bond technique brings artistic dimension and texture to any project and eliminates fussy-edge finishing. In this class, Joan shares her original 20″ x 30″ bald eagle quilt and shows how to make your own 3-D version using water soluble stabilizer and her foolproof process. Joan shows how to mark and cut the foundation and add feathers. The nest is an artistic creation in itself and gains its realistic appearance due to Joan’s unique stitching process. Borders, stems, and leaves are carefully layered and stitched, adding depth. Once the nest is attached and the eagle is settled in, Joan offers quilting and finishing tips that complete the look. Pay tribute to our beloved national bird and bring the outdoors inside with this fabulous quilt and be inspired to use the appli-bond technique in many other ways! For your convenience, this class can be purchased for online viewing or purchased on DVD.
Check items to add to cart or select all LIST PDF
Checkboxes indicate items available for purchase from shop.americanquilter.com
- #11139 - Appli-Bond Bald Eagle Kit
- Background: ½ yd.
- Border: 1 yd.
- Bird foundation: breast feathers and eye accent: ⅓ yd. dark brown
- Wing feathers: ¼ yd. medium brown
- Head feathers: ⅛ yd. white
- Beak, claws, and eye: ⅛ yd. yellow
- Claw nails, eye accent, and pupil: black scraps
- Leaves: ¼ yd.
- Lower nest: ⅛ yd. each shade of (5) lighter shades of tans and browns
- Upper nest: ⅛ yd. each shade (5) darker shades of tans and browns
- Branches: 2 yd. of ¼" thick chenille yarn in brown tones; if making traditional stems: ⅛ yd. fabric in brown tones.
- Legal size paper and printer to print patterns
- Straw (milliners) needle
- Embroidery floss: brown, white, and green
- Pressing sheet for protecting your ironing surface
- Pigma® permanent marking pen
- FriXion® pen, any color, or other disappearing marking pen
- Clover Hera™ marker or ballpoint pen
- 1 yd. water-soluble stabilizer
- Mechanical pencil, white or gray, with refills (Bohin recommended); or other white chalk pencil
- Thimble (Little House® Tortoise Thimble recommended)
- Template material or freezer paper
- Lightbox (Optional)
- Saral transfer tracing paper (Optional)
- #10707 - Inktense Ink Pencils
How do I care for a quilt made with this technique?This 3-D project is 20" x 30" when completed, making it a perfect size for a wallhanging. It can be washed. As with any quilt, you will want to exercise care when handling, as well as keeping it in a place where it will not get faded by sunlight.
This looks different than typical piecing or appliqué. Will I be able to do it just like the picture?When you watch this class, you will find that Joan gives an amazing amount of tips about fabric selection, placement, and her special method of preparing and attaching each piece. You’ll be surprised how quickly the project comes together!
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with any downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Joan will get back with you.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have the Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!