Raw-edge appliqué is a quick and effective way to add personality and themes to any project. Leanne Anderson’s original wallhanging playfully celebrates the seasons with four adorable animal creatures that will get you familiar with the technique from start to finish. Cut, fuse, assemble, and stitch using this easy pattern and learn to give your work a custom-made look. Leanne shows numerous ways to embellish so your project pops with personality. Learn to make batting look like vintage wool and dye buttons to add color and dimension. You’ll enjoy Leanne’s easy-going teaching style and will have so much fun completing this project that it will leave you looking for your next raw-edge appliqué piece!
Check items to add to cart or select all LIST PDF
Checkboxes indicate items available for purchase from shop.americanquilter.com
- Camp Nana: Projects to Quilt & Sew
- Kit: A complete set of laser-cut appliqués and buttons! A big time saver!
- Center blocks and binding: ⅔ yd.
- Sashing and first border: ¼ yd.
- Second border: ⅜ yd.
- Third border: ½ yd.
- Backing: 1⅛ yd.
- Batting: 1¼ yd. Leanne uses Warm and Natural® cotton.
- Fat quarter of 13 different prints for appliqué. Some of the pieces are very small, so use scraps.
- Appliqués and lettering: ½ yd. ivory print
- Sunflower: (10) ⅜" gold
- Top of flagpole and snowflake flower: (2) ½" ivory star
- Flower stamens: (3) ¼" black
- Watermelon seeds: (4) ½" black
- Flower centers: (1) ½" rose, (1) ⅜" gold, (1) ⅜" green
- Snowman: (2) ¾" black
Basic Sewing Supplies:
- Rotary cutter
- Cutting mat
- Fabric scissors
- Needle for hand sewing
- Quilter’s pen or chalk pencil
- 2 yd. HeatnBond® Lite or HeatnBond® Feather Lite
- ¼" white rickrack: ½ yd.
- ½" green rickrack: ½ yd.
- 2 Tbsp. instant coffee or ⅛ cup liquid tan dye
- Powder blush
- Embroidery floss: black
- Sewing machine with straight, zigzag, and optional blanket or satin stitch
- Ironing Surface
- Light box
- Teflon® pressing sheet or backing sheet from fusible bond
- For spray dyeing: spray bottle, funnel, plastic tablecloth or tarp to protect work surface
- For button dyeing: pan and lid, slotted spoon, colander (Note: Don’t dye with utensils you intend to use for cooking.)
- Electric Quilt® 8 quilt design software (EQ8)
Is this a large project?The completed quilt is 34½" x 34½". The background will come together quickly and you will enjoy “building” the whimsical appliqué characters. Leanne explains everything so clearly, and at the completion of the class, you’ll have a delightful four-season wallhanging to enjoy.
What if I am a beginner?Welcome! This class is great for the beginner as well as for those who have been quilting and want to learn some new techniques. Raw-edge appliqué Leanne’s way is truly fast and fun.
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with the downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Leanne will get back with you via email. Please do not contact iquilt instructors by telephone.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!