Aunt MiMi’s Flower Garden is an award-winning quilt designed by Elsie M. Campbell. In this class, enjoy the process of creating this exquisite quilt and learning the secrets of invisible machine appliqué. The best part about Elsie’s appliqué method is that it is accomplished with no pinning! You’ll also become comfortable with cutting, folding, and sewing bias strips with confidence. Learn Elsie’s unique way to cut circles that are true to size and how to fit blocks together successfully. Throughout the lessons, Elsie shares tips on fabric conservation and organization. With minimal supplies, you can make this quilt top and have a winner of your own.
This beautiful quilt may be done in one of two colorways: red/pink and blue/lavender. Parentheses are added for the blue/lavender option.
- Background and binding: 11 yd. yellow solid
- Appliqué background, backing, bias piping: 13½ yd. white solid
- Bias appliqué, leaves, stems: 2½ yd. green solid
- 1 yd. red (blue) solid
- ½ yd. pink (lavender) solid
- ½ yd. deep yellow solid
- YLI Wonder Invisible Monofilament size 0.004 mm
- Bobbins filled with thread to match white, yellow, red (blue) and pink (lavender) fabrics
- Embroidery threads (if using optional embroidery on appliqués: light or dark green, red (blue) and pink (lavender)
Sewing Machine Foot:
- Open toe embroidery foot or patchwork foot
- ¼" or walking foot
- 7 groove pintuck foot
- Stitch in the ditch foot
- Ironing Surface
- Rotary cutter
- Cutting mat
- 6" x 24" ruler
- Sharpie® ultra fine marker
- Bohin water-erasable marking pen
- RoseArt® glue stick
- Sta-Flo® liquid starch
- (2) Spray bottles
- Clover ballpoint awl or stiletto
- Small sharp scissors
- Thread snips
- Template plastic
- Freezer paper
- Piping Hot Binding with Groovin’ Piping Trimming Tool by Susan K. Cleveland
- Stabilizer (if using optional embroidery on appliqués): Floriani or Wash-Away Applique Sheets by Beth Ferrier
- Light for machine or handwork
- Magnifier for sewing machine or handwork
- Light box
- Yardstick ruler
- Thread stand
- Electric Quilt® 8 quilt design software (EQ8)
Can I make this in different colors?Of course you may! Elsie has made this in two colorways with some variations in design. We have provided colors for either the red/pink version or the blue/lavender version for your convenience.
Can I just buy the pattern?At the present time, iquilt and Elsie agree that this pattern is best shared by the designer in an online class format. It is exciting to make an award-winning quilt under the tutelage of the creator and Elsie shares a wealth of appliqué knowledge and tips throughout the class. It is also interesting to discover what would inspire a woman so well known for her handwork to make this breathtaking quilt using machine appliqué techniques. So no, the pattern is not currently available for sale, but we believe you will find it a treat to invite Elsie into your home so she can share her quilting experience with you as you make your own Aunt MiMi’s Flower Garden. The downloadable materials will augment the online class information.
What level is this class?While iquilt classes are not typically placed into levels, we can say that a true beginner to quilting would find it quite challenging. However, Elsie provides step-by-step guidance as to the construction of these blocks, so it would not be completely impossible for a careful and tenacious beginner to succeed. Intermediate to experienced quilters will quickly feel comfortable and will enjoy making this special quilt. As Elsie encourages in the introduction, “Slow down and enjoy the process.”
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with the downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Elsie will get back with you via email. Please do not contact iquilt instructors by telephone.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have the Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!