Love the look of appliqué and want it to look perfect? Becky Campbell’s Innovative Appliqué method will show you how! Make the included flower pattern along with her and then apply this method to all of your appliqué projects. You’ll learn how to choose just the right color hues, prepare foolproof appliqué shapes, and see examples of both hand and machine appliqué techniques. Learn how to use trapunto—without stuffing anything! After the top is finished, Becky teaches how to mark and quilt the flower wallhanging. She even shows how to add special touches to the borders to make this a really special piece. The true beauty of Becky’s Innovative Appliqué technique is that it can be used to enhance any future appliqué projects.
Check items to add to cart or select all LIST PDF
Checkboxes indicate items available for purchase from shop.americanquilter.com
- Plant Your Own Garden by Rebecca L. Campbell
- Holly Jolly Ornamental Appliqué by Becky Campbell
- Background: 16" x 18" (After the appliqué is complete, trim to 15" x 17".)
- Flower petals: (5) 3" x 5" similar shades of one color
- Flower center: (2) 3" x 5" accent shades
- Leaves and stem: (3) 3" x 6" shades of green
- Trim: (2) 1" x 15" strips and (2) 1" x 17" strips
- Border: (2) 4" x 15" strips, and (2) 4" x 25" (Note: If making mitered corners, add ¼" to each strip.)
- Batting: 27" x 29" low loft batting for easy trapunto
- Backing fabric: 27" x 29"
- Binding: ¼ yd. (Cut (2) 2½" strips and connect to create 74" straight-of-grain binding.)
- Colors that match the background fabric, flowers, and leaves.
Inkjet Copy Supplies:
- C. Jenkins™ Freezer Paper Sheets, 8½" x 11"
- June Tailor® Perfect Piecing
- Print N Fuse Fusible Adhesive Sheets
Edge Turning Supplies:
- Clover® seam ripper, white plastic (#482w) or your favorite appliqué fabric turning tool
- Cutting mat: 6" or the smallest mat you have
- Roxanne™ Glue-Baste-It
- Sewline™ Fabric Glue Pen
- Ironing Surface
Hand Stitching Supplies (if choosing to appliqué by hand):
- Needle: Size 12 quilting/between, or your choice (It doesn’t have to be an appliqué needle–it just needs to be sharp.)
- Thimble: ThimblePad or Nimble the Soft Thimble, or thimble of your choice
- Elmer’s® School Glue
Sewing Machine Supplies (if choosing to appliqué by machine):
- Select a sewing machine foot that allows a clear view of the needle piercing the fabric.
- Straight or zigzag stitch
- Sew with a reduced stitch length. (For example, if your normal stitch length is 2.5, reduce it to 2, making it easier to stitch around the shapes.)
- Clover Appliqué Pins
- Stabilizer for background fabric: Pellon® Easy-Knit™ fusible interfacing, 9" x 10½". (It generally comes 21" wide. Cut a 9" length and then cut the 21" width in half, resulting in two pieces.)
- Electric Quilt® 8 quilt design software (EQ8)
Other than the one presented in the class, are more flower designs available?Check out Becky’s Plant Your Own Garden book published by AQS. You’ll find a whole bouquet there!
Can I use Becky’s method with my own appliqué patterns?Certainly! Becky’s method is adaptable, so you can learn her method and then use it on any future appliqué patterns.
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with the downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Becky will get back with you.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have the Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!