Make a beautiful kaleidoscope quilt that looks intimidating but turns out to be easy. Teacher and author Toby Lischko demonstrates what to look for in symmetrical and coordinating fabrics to achieve complex combinations while letting the fabric designs do the work. Cut templates designed by Toby that produce perfectly matching corners, making piecing a snap. Finish off the design with a border that sports mitered corners, giving this quilt even more pop. At each step along the way, Toby is quick to give tips and even includes her special recipe for homemade spray starch. Toby’s expert teaching style is well paced and clear so that quilters of any level will be able to enjoy this course and not only make the quilt shown in class but will also look for opportunities to apply this technique to an unlimited number of projects.
Check items to add to cart or select all LIST PDF
Checkboxes indicate items available for purchase from shop.americanquilter.com
- Symmetrical fabric yardages are estimates depending on the scale of the repeat. These yardages are for a medium to large scale print fabric. Choose contrasting colors in the two symmetrical fabrics.
- Fabric 1 symmetrical fabric: ¼ to ½ yd.
- Fabric 2 symmetrical fabric: ¼ to ½ yd.
- Fabric 3 Light: ⅝ yd. for blocks, border 2, and binding
- Fabric 4 Contrast: ⅝ yd. for blocks and border 3
- Fabric 5 Dark: 1 yd. for blocks, borders 1 and 4
- Backing: 1¼ yd.
- Batting: 42" x 42"
- Neutral color cotton, 50 wt.
- Standard sewing foot (#1 or A)
- Rulers 6½" x 12" or 6" x 12"
- 12" square ruler
- Ruler or ¼" seam gauge
- Small rotary cutter (18 mm or 28 mm)
- Scissors for paper
- Small scissors or snips
- Seam ripper
- Transparent tape
- 6" Magic Mirrors From Marti Michell
- Cutting mat, small (Martelli RoundAbout works well)
- Heavy template plastic or 17" Kaleidostar template
- Permanent marking tool
- Clover patchwork pins, .4 mm
- #4884 - Iron
- Ironing Surface
- Spray starch
- Dr. Scholl’s Molefoam Padding
- Awl or stiletto
What comes with this class?The content of the video course is a series of six lessons. Toby will show you how to use symmetrical fabrics to make stunning quilts. She will also guide you through making templates, cutting the fabrics, piecing, and making a border with mitered corners. The downloadable materials feature the pattern and template shapes so you can make the 35" x 35" quilt that she demonstrates in the class.
The cutting looks like it could be tedious. Will that be frustrating to me?Typically, the cutting is tedious when it involves making templates, cutting the fabric, and then cutting the corners after pieces are sewn together. However, Toby has developed templates designed especially for this technique that eliminates the cutting of all those little dog ears. That makes the piecing go so much faster!
These types of quilts always look too complicated for me, so if I purchase the class, will I really be able to understand how to make mine look as good as hers?If you pay attention to Toby’s excellent instructions about fabric choices, you will be able to make a quilt that may even astound yourself! The secret is in the fabric repeats and Toby demonstrates how to make that work for you to create an amazing finished piece.
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with the downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Toby will get back with you via email. Please do not contact iquilt instructors by telephone.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have the Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!