Tuffet making is sweeping the nation as a great way to use your favorite fabrics in a fun and exciting way. A delightful accent to any home, tuffets can be traditional or whimsical—the choice is yours! Tuffet expert Sharyn Cole guides you every step of the way as you choose fabric, prepare the foundation, learn her flip-and-sew method, and construct the entire piece of furniture down to the very last cute little foot! This is a fantastic way to use those collections of precut strips! Commemorate weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, and holidays with a custom-made tuffet. Note: An additional purchase of a Pieced 18″ Tuffet Fabric Foundation Pattern is required for this class.
Check items to add to cart or select all LIST PDF
Checkboxes indicate items available for purchase from shop.americanquilter.com
- #13576 - Uppercase fabric strip pack
- (64) 2½" precut strips cut into 22" lengths
- Fat quarter of coordinating fabric
- 18" square of fusible fleece
- 6" square of coordinating fabric
- #11478 - Spring Fling Strip Pack
- #12139 - Magic Colors
- *if you do not wish to purchase the kit view the full list of supplies under 'Optional'
- 50 wt. in a neutral color or one that coordinates with the fabrics
- Upholstery thread
- Open toe foot
- Cording foot
Pins & Needles
- Straight pins
- Sewing needles with large eyes
- 12" Add-A-Quarter™ Ruler
- Mary Ellen’s Best Press
- Eye protection
- Circle making ruler
- Staple gun and staples
- Purchase a Tuffet Source™ Finishing Kit with feet and eliminate shopping for many of the items listed below:
*Tuffet Source Finishing Kit with feet includes:
- (4) stained tuffet feet with hanger bolt installed
- 17" x ¾" plywood, drilled and sanded wood circle with tee nuts installed
- 18" x 6" upholstery foam, beveled
- 36" square of Dacron upholstery batting
- 2½" half dome button
- (4) 18" heavy duty cords for button installation
- 72" heavy duty gathering cord
Can I make my tuffet with precuts?Absolutely! It’s likely you already have some spare precuts in your stash that would be perfect for this project.
Can I do some different things like appliqué, paint, or add other embellishments to the tuffet?You sure can, and we’d love to have you post your unique tuffet on the iquilt website!
Are these difficult to make?Sharyn has vast experience teaching this tuffet technique. Follow along with her and you should not have any problems.
Do I have to purchase the pattern for this class?Yes, the pattern must be purchased to ensure the successful completion of this class. You will need to purchase the Pieced 18" Tuffet Fabric Foundation Pattern.
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with the downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Sharyn will get back with you via email. Please do not contact iquilt instructors by telephone.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have the Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!