Create a striking crazy quilt Christmas stocking while learning stitches that will take your machine quilting to the next level. Perfect for gift giving or proudly displaying on your own mantel, this stocking showcases a delightful variety of quilting motifs as Cindy Krug shows how to make pebbles, teardrops, rainbows, hearts, and more. Feathers and swirls add to the delicate quality of the stocking, and with some simple variations, you’ll add even more stitches to your quilting library. Let Cindy show you how to machine quilt like never before!
Check items to add to cart or select all LIST PDF
Checkboxes indicate items available for purchase from shop.americanquilter.com
- ⅝ yd. solid color. RJR cotton sateen or quilter’s cotton is recommended. Avoid batiks and prints.
- Binding: 18" x 22" solid color
- Backing: 18" x 22" prequilted fabric
- Batting: 18" x 22" wool or medium loft polyester
- (1) spool YLI Silk #100, Superior Threads® Kimono Silk, or Superior metallic thread in the color of your choice. Lighter colors are less apt to show mistakes.
Sewing Machine Supplies:
- Sewing machine feet: walking foot and free-motion quilting foot
- Sewing machine needle: (1) #60/8 or #70/10 Schmetz® Microtex (Sharp) or (1) 90/14 Superior Titanium Coated. Cindy suggests using a #60/8 or #70/10 for silk thread and a #90/14 for metallic thread.
- Empty bobbin
- Notebook or drawing paper
- Pencil sharpener
- Clover® marker, water soluble blue or white depending on the stocking fabric color
- Sturdy pins
- 20 safety pins
- Thread snips or scissors
- Ironing Surface
- Single-hole needle plate
- Sewing gloves or rubber fingertips
- Kwik Klip™ tool for pin basting
What kind of stitches will I learn?There are eight basic stitches taught in the class. You will learn useful filler stitches like pebbles. You’ll make teardrops, beautiful swirls, rainbows, and strings of pearls. Stitch hearts, waves of feathers, and seaweed. Many of these include fun variations, giving your quilting stitches an artful grace that enhances any quilting project. Plus, if you follow along with the class, you will complete a striking stocking sampler that is perfect for gift giving! Whether you make the stocking sampler or apply these quilting stitches to another quilting project, please post pictures so we can enjoy your progress.
Will this class give me ideas for quilting my own quilts?Absolutely. Once you have added these stitches to your quilting wheelhouse, they can be used as fillers and background stitches for all of your quilting pieces. Knowing how to execute these motifs will give you the confidence to jump in and try them on your quilts, adding interest and variety.
If I have never machine quilted before, is this a good class for me?If you are a beginner when it comes to machine quilting, consider taking Successful Machine Quilting: Basic and Beyond, also taught by Cindy. It provides valuable information to those just beginning to learn how to machine quilt. Then, you will be ready to continue honing your quilting skills with the Machine Quilted Stocking Sampler class.
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with any downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Cindy will get back with you.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!