Mary Sorensen, Appliqué Master and expert in fine hand needlework techniques, will share with you how to select fabrics to create pleasing texture and eye-catching visual interest; and how to make thin stems, smooth curves, sharp points, and circles and Vs to perfection. Learn Mary’s stitching method and how to layer the pieces to reduce bulk. Choose from a lovely 18″ wall quilt Orchard Fresh pattern featuring colorful fruits and cheery flowers or the Plum Mini Quilt pattern. This class is a great way to use up your scraps and Charm Squares. By the end of the class, you will be looking for items to appliqué!For your convenience, this class can be purchased for online viewing or purchased on DVD.
Check items to add to cart or select all LIST PDF
Checkboxes indicate items available for purchase from shop.americanquilter.com
- Background: 22" square, light color
- Stems: 8" square, brown or black print
- Appliqué shapes:
- Note: Use 5" Charm Squares or large scraps. Avoid busy prints. Include a variety of textures, values, and scales.
- Heart-shaped blossom petals: (12) assorted 5" Charm Squares or (45) scraps. This equals about 1 fat quarter of fabric.
- Apples: (2) red prints
- Plums (2-4) varied prints
- Peaches (2-4) varied prints
- Pears (2-4) varied prints
- Leaves (5-21) varied green prints (12 charm squares total)
- Flower centers: (3) gold prints for flower centers
- Sewing thread to match each appliqué fabric
- Embroidery floss for cherry stems
Pins & Needles:
- #10 or #11 betweens or quilting needles
- Pins: Collins 1¼" silk pins or Clover Patchwork Pins (Fine)
- Scissors: Small, sharp fabric scissors such as Gingher G5 or Dovo
- Large 8" scissors to cut plastic such as Fiskar® Easy Action™ spring-loaded scissors
- Mechanical lead pencil
- Sharp pencils
- Colored mechanical pencils in yellow, silver, and pink. Or Prismacolor® Premier Verithin® pencils, colors #735 and #753
- Permanent marker, Sharpie or IdentiPen
- Ruler with ⅛" markings or Mary’s Skinny Stems and Tiny Circles Tool
- Template plastic
- Sandpaper board
- Permanent double-stick tape
- Manila file folder
- Light box
Is there a project with this class?Yes! Mary has created an original design for this class. It’s called Orchard Fresh and you have the option of making an 18" wall quilt or working on a smaller Plum Mini Quilt pattern.
What stands out in this class?The greatest strength is the needle-turn technique she demonstrates. She also gives really good tips for keeping everything organized. However, the unexpected gem of the class is how she describes the straight of grain, cross grain, and bias of fabrics. That information alone is applicable to any other project involving fabric.
What is needle-turn appliqué?As Mary explains in the class, needle-turn appliqué simply means that the needle is used to move the fabric. And, in places where many of us are tempted to use our fingers to manipulate the fabric, Mary shows how to use the needle as a tool to accomplish the desired result.
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with the downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Mary will get back with you via email. Please do not contact iquilt instructors by telephone.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have the Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!