Learn to make the fabulous New York Beauty block using ONE pin and NO stress! Linda Hahn shows how to paper piece the arc foundation, creating sharp points on each spire. When it comes to sewing curves, break out a single pin and sew a seam that stays wonderfully flat. Follow the simple directions for cutting and you will have made a flawless New York Beauty block! Make 36 blocks and piece together a quilt. Save the scraps, though, because Linda gives tips for taking the leftover fabric and making a Chunky Mini quilt as well. She also demonstrates how to sew the blocks together to make a flowing wave, a half sun, and a full sun. Following Linda’s instructions, you’ll be able to make this seemingly complicated block like an expert, giving you so many possibilities for making not only these two quilts, but so many others as well. For your convenience, this class can be purchased for online viewing or purchased on DVD.
Check items to add to cart or select all LIST PDF
Checkboxes indicate items available for purchase from shop.americanquilter.com
- Fabric amounts are generous and include enough to make the main project and a Chunky Mini quilt. Add a border to the main project if you choose. There are borders on the mini made from leftover fabric from the main project.
- Fabric 1: 1 yd. light blue
- Fabric 2: 2½ yd. teal. Yardage includes binding for the main project.
- Fabric 3: 1½ yd. lime green
- Fabric 4: 2¼ yd. cream
- Binding for Chunky Mini quilt: leftover fabrics
- Backing and hanging sleeve for main project: 1⅓ yd.
- Backing and hanging sleeve for Chunky Mini quilt: ¾ yd.
- Batting for Chunky Mini quilt varies
Sewing Machine Foot
- ¼" with no flange
- Pigma® brush pen
- HTC Fun-dation™ or Vellum translucent foundation paper
- (1) sheet of template plastic
- Spray starch
- Rulers: (1) 6" x 24" and (1) 91/2" square with a diagonal line
- Scissors for paper and plastic
- Sharpie® marker
- Flower head pins
- Quilting stencils designed to fit New York Beauty blocks
- Pounce pad or disappearing ink marking pen
- Plastic page protector
- Dry erase marker
- Transparent tape
- #10712 - New York Beauty kit. The kit includes acrylic templates for the 6" New York Beauty block and the 4" Chunky Mini block, reusable paper piecing stencils.
What can I make in this class?Linda will teach you how to make a 6" New York Beauty block. Use that information to make a total of 36 blocks and piece together a beautiful quilt. Then, hold onto those scraps because they can be used to make a Chunky Mini quilt! Linda also provides a trunk show at the end of the class so you will be inspired to make other designs from these versatile blocks.
I have never been successful at sewing points or curves before, so how do I know I can make a block that features both?Linda takes the stress out of making both points and curves! Her methodical approach will have you making these seemingly difficult blocks—and they will come out perfectly every time!
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with the downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Linda will get back with you via email. Please do not contact iquilt instructors by telephone.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it any place and any time you have Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!