Team up with Michele Scott and machine quilt using all those eye-catching threads and decorative trims that bring a signature touch to your projects! Learn how to use the bobbin to quilt with decorative threads, adding more distinction to your quilts than you ever thought possible. Michele warns that bobbin quilting may turn you into a thread enthusiast when you discover the beauty and versatility that bobbin quilting brings to your finished pieces. Machine couch yarns and cords to add dimension and interest. And don’t just use these great techniques on small quilts! Michele shows how to use your domestic machine to quilt larger quilts as well. This class also includes starting and stopping when machine quilting, adjusting the tension so the front and back of your quilt is lovely, and how to free-motion quilt with ease. So, break out those shiny, glittery, and beautiful but bulky threads and trims and let Michele show you how to make them come alive on your quilts!
- Top: (6) 16" muslin squares
- Backing: (6) 16" muslin squares
- Batting: (6) 16" cotton batting squares
- Using adhesive put top, batting, and backing squares together, making six practice quilt “sandwiches.”
- An assortment: thick, thin, metallics, yarns
- Monofilament nylon thread (YLI, Aurifil, Sulky, Superior Threads, or Mettler)
- Free-motion darning foot
- Walking foot
- 100/16 and 90/14
- Well-oiled sewing machine with zigzag stitch and ability to drop or cover the feed dogs
- Bobbins: (2) empty bobbins
- (2) bobbins filled with any thread
- Small scissors or snips
- Pen, pencil, or fine-point permanent marker
- Tomato pincushion
- Flower head pins
- Golden Threads Quilting Paper
- 505® Spray and Fix temporary fabric adhesive
- Sketch pad
- Extra bobbin case
- Screwdriver that accompanies your sewing machine model
- Quilting gloves or clean gardening gloves
- Chenille or self-threading needle
Fun Threads to Try:
- YLI Candlelight
- YLI fine metallic
- Sulky® Sliver™ metalic thread
- YLI Kaleidoscope
- Superior Threads® Glitter Hologram
- Aurifil cotton thread, 12 wt.
Products you might also enjoy:
- If you enjoy creating beautiful designs with colorful thread and trim, you may also like these products by Michele Scott:
- Bobbin Quiltin’ & Fusin’ Fun Book
- eBook Bobbin Quiltin’ & Fusin’ Fun
- Close to Home BOM
- Close to Home thread collection
- Ironing Surface
- Electric Quilt® 8 quilt design software (EQ8)
How is this class different from a basic machine quilting course?Michele covers the basics like how to start and stop quilting, tension, various types of threads, free-motion fillers, etc., but then she moves on to bobbin sewing techniques that will give your quilts an entirely different surface design and texture. Couching larger decorative threads and yarns is covered as well, so get ready to add some sparkle and pizzazz to your quilts once you have learned how to successfully incorporate these techniques into your projects.
What if I struggle with the tension while quilting?Michele’s animated style will let you know you are not alone when trying to get the tension just right. With an eye always toward problem solving, Michele shows how to get the tension set so that the top and the back of your quilted piece are free of tension issues.
Will I learn what to do with some of the beautiful threads I have purchased?Quilters are drawn to pretty things and that includes some of the lovely decorative threads and yarns we run across but then find we are not quite sure what to do with them. Michele has spent years working to include them in her quilts and she now shares her expertise in this class. Whether these beautiful threads can be put in the top, in the bobbin, or couched, Michele explains and demonstrates the process in a step-by-step manner.
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with the downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Michele will get back with you via email. Please do not contact iquilt instructors by telephone.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have the Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!