Turn photographs into quilted portrait masterpieces with instructor Teri Henderson Tope. Using nearly all straight lines, create a work of art to give as a gift or to keep as a special memory quilt. Learn how to add highlights and curves with ease. Create borders and details to enhance your project. Beginning, as well as experienced quilters, will achieve success with Teri’s easy to understand, step-by-step approach. Watch as she shares how to bring your quilted portrait to life. Turn those fading photographs into touching and beautiful portrait quilts that will last a lifetime with this amazing class.
Check items to add to cart or select all LIST PDF
Checkboxes indicate items available for purchase from shop.americanquilter.com
- 1 yd. light-colored, tightly woven cotton fabric
- 1 yd. white fusible cloth backing (such as Face-It Soft Sew Lazy interfacing or Pellon® SF101 Shape-Flex® interfacing)
- Fabric for backing, borders, piping, and binding
- Piece of fabric for testing stitches and tension
- Quilting thread: (white, black, or cream)
- Free-motion or hopping foot
- Walking foot
- Piping foot
- Photograph or digital image (high contrast)
- 10" wooden or 7" spring tension embroidery hoop
- Twill tape to wrap hoop on inside hoop
- Extra sewing machine needles (80/20 Sharp - such as Schmetz Microtex)
- Piping Hot Binding with Groovin’ Piping Trimming Tool by Susan K. Cleveland
- Sewing machine with feed dogs that can be dropped
- Blue painter’s tape
- Cone holder for thread
Does the class provide a photograph or do I use one of my own?Teri’s method teaches you to make a thread portrait from an image that is meaningful to you. Whether it is a relative, friend, or pet, choose your own image and use Teri’s techniques to complete your project. Then, let everyone enjoy what you’ve made by posting it on this site.
Do I have to have excellent sewing skills to make thread portraits?If you can thread your machine and sew a generally straight line, you can make a thread portrait!
What if I have questions?We recommend that you watch the class in its entirety and become familiar with any downloadable materials. At that point, if something is unclear, go to the tab that allows you to ask a question and Teri will get back with you.
When can I start the class?We know you are excited to get started. After you have purchased the class, you can enjoy it anywhere and anytime you have Internet. The class belongs to you, so watch it as many times as you like!